Table of Contents
- Content Management Systems
- Learning Management Systems
- Web Hosting Services
Content Management Systems…
- …manage and control dynamic collections of web material (HTML documents and their associated images)
- …provide tools designed to allow users with little or no knowledge of programming to create and manage web sites relatively easily.
- …are different to Microsoft FrontPage or Adobe Dreamweaver in that they allow non-technical users to make changes to an existing web site with little training.
- …help non-technical users effectively manage their websites from any internet-connected machine in the world.
- Separation of design, structure, and content. The design of a website can be completely reworked without the need for any adjustments to structure or content. The structure can be adjusted for additional functionality with no changes required to design and content. Content can be changed with no need to adjust the front-end design or functional structure.
- Decentralized maintenance. Based on a common web browser. Editing anywhere, anytime removes bottlenecks.
- Designed with non-technical content authors in mind. People with average knowledge of word processing can create the content directly. No HTML knowledge needed.
- Configurable access restrictions. Users are assigned roles and permissions that prevent them from editing content that they are not authorized to change.
- No headaches over design. Because content is stored separately from design, authors simply add content, while the CMS presents it in the same consistent design.
- Content is stored in a database. Central storage means that content can be reused in many places on the web site and formatted for any device (web browser, mobile phone/WAP, PDA, print).
- Content scheduling. Content publication can often be time-controlled, hidden for later use or require user login with password.
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) that allows simple in-browser set-up and updating of websites. WordPress is free and open source and its core is contributed to by hundreds of community volunteers. The convenience and flexibility of WordPress has made it one of the most popular solutions on the internet for building websites.
WordPress is customizable in a number of ways. Themes are used to change the design and layout options of a site. Plugins are available to add functionality to the site and, once configured, can offer options such as social media integration, photo and slider displays, user and document management and much more.
A learning management system (LMS) is a software application for the administration, documentation, tracking, reporting and delivery of electronic educational technology, education courses or training programs
An LMS is the infrastructure that delivers and manages instructional content, identifies and assesses individual and organizational learning or training goals, tracks the progress towards meeting those goals, and collects and presents data for supervising the learning process of the organization as a whole. A Learning Management System delivers content but also handles registering for courses, course administration, skills gap analysis, tracking, and reporting
Moodle is a web-based tool (often referred to as a learning management system or LMS) used for web-enhanced and online courses. Instructors use Moodle to facilitate class communication, provide course materials and deliver assignments and other assessments.
Students and instructors use a web browser to access their courses, and no other special hardware or software is required. Courses are provided in a password-protected environment, ensuring student privacy within the class. Grades can be recorded in Moodle and then submitted to R&R at the end of the semester. Instructors use WolfWare to request and manage their Moodle sites. (Read more.)
The Office of Information Technology is in the process of retiring Hosted Drupal services, and no new websites will be created using this service.
If you already have a website in the Hosted Drupal environment, we recommend you transition to OIT’s Hosted WordPress services. Please contact OIT Design if you have any questions.